The Tao of Churchill
Winston Churchill's way is one I admire:
- The length of this document defends it well against the risk of its being read.
- However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
- Sure I am of this, that you have only to endure to conquer.
- We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
- I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
- Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
- Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
- He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
- I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
- If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.
- Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time-a tremendous whack.
- The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
- The first quality that is needed is audacity.
- War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.
- You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.